CategoryHot dishes Hot vegetable dish Other vegetables Salads Vegetable salad Other salads Appetizers
Braised red cabbage with chestnuts is a traditional German dish, which is usually served with roast goose. However, if you don’t plan to cook the goose for dinner this time, the dish will also work well with pork and prime ribs. You can cook it in advance, keep in a fridge and pre-heat before serving.
- bacon : 2 piece (thick and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips)
- onion : 1 piece (medium, thinly sliced)
- cabbage : 1 piece (cut into thick slices)
- green tart apple : 1 piece (large)
- apple cider vinegar : 0.5 cup
- balsamic vinegar : 2 Tbsp
- sugar : 6 Tbsp
- salt : 0.5 tsp (or more, to your taste)
- black pepper : 1 pinch (freshly ground)
- roasted chestnuts : 8 oz. (canned or jarred, NOT water chestnuts!)
Stages of cooking
Fry the bacon batons in a large sauté pan on medium fire. The bacon should be light brown when it is ready. It should not be crispy.
Peel and slice the onions. Add them to the bacon and cook on medium fire, stirring the ingredients from time to time. The onions should be light brown and soft.
While the onions are cooking, peel the apple and cut it into thick pieces. Once the onions are ready, add the sliced cabbage, chopped apple, cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and sugar. Mix the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan, lower the heat, and simmer until the cabbage is cooked through and soft. This will take around 40 minutes.
Take off the lid. Add chopped roasted chestnuts, salt and black pepper. Increase the heat and keep cooking until the excess moisture boils off. Serve hot. Bon appétit!